Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The Summer Appears (Albeit in September)


I'm naturally not one who revels in the icy gloom. Not for me a tingle of excitement as the trees begin to lose their leaves. No. I'm a summer person by nature and happiest sitting back in the sunshine idly idling. Preferably with a large drink.

I can understand it that those of you that are blessed with pasty skin and freckles by the bucketload who are ancestors from the Nordic branch of the family don't share my penchant for the hot burning sun but I think I possibly have some Mediterranean blood somewhere and given a few days of the aforementioned idling I feel, proverbially 'happy as Larry'

I don't know who Larry was but I did find this quote

"The word may well have come from English dialect larrikin for a mischievous youth, once common in Warwickshire and Worcestershire, which itself is closely related to larrie. "

So, it seems that as is now, Larry was a simple happy Chav in pre-burberry days. For an explanation of that please refer to my last post. It warms your heart doesn't it?

Weekend Report

After drinking far too much as was good for me on Friday night in the bars of Old Street, home of the Hoxton haircut I launched myself into some heavy duty gardening on Saturday. Calm yourselves I know. The excitement of it is palpable.

Not withstanding that I made excellent progress and cleared large areas of garden including the pond which had taken on jungle like qualities. The garden looked good. I was indeed pleased. Especially as the sun beamed whilst I worked.

I'm very disappointed with the tomatoes though. I shall have words with them. I can only assume that the monsoon like August stunted their development.

Saturday evening was spent with a BBQ and Sunday was spent idling in the garden, with drinks, and a lovely Slinx.

All was well.

Next week I'm off to Ibiza. I don't think things will be quite as relaxed. After all I don't have a garden to sit in whilst I am there...

On a Serious Note

I watch the news. I read the news. I have been moved (like you) by the tragedy in Belsan.

What man does to man, and in this case child is unbelievable and unforgivable. The men with power have to talk with the men that have none.

If they don't. As has always been, tragedy will breed new tragedy which will always hurt the innocent more.

Bush, Blair, Putin. You are all in charge as are others.

Ambition is a double edged sword. Sometimes you can end up being responsible for far more than you bargained for.







No comments: