Sunday, July 18, 2004

Cricket at Lords



On Thursday I went to see some cricket at Lords Cricket Ground, the headquarters of the game. I had never been to watch a cricket match before even though I do enjoy listening to it on the radio (test match special, BBC Radio 4 of course)

It was a new type of game, called 20 / 20 cricket; in short each side has to score as many runs as possible in just 20 overs. For those of you aren’t aware an over is a series of 6 balls bowled. For those of you who are even less aware than that I am not going to use this opportunity to explain what cricket is, or its rules, now even its subtleties. 20 overs though is not very many and the whole match including the half hour interval for the sides to change over took from 5.30 to 8.30 in the evening. Its a taster game if you like to attract impatient types and new viewers as a 'proper' cricket match can last up to 5 days and often obscurely neither side will actually win.

This is possibly why it has never really caught on in America.

The other thing about this type of cricket is that the cricketers don't even bother to dress properly in white flannels. Instead Surrey wore dark blue 'pyjama stile sports kits whilst the other side (Middlesex) wore black.. or a darker blue. I'm not quite sure if I have that the right way round but you get the idea. Sadly the umpires didn’t wear shirts, blazers and ties either but some red polo shirt and 'slacks' ensemble that made them look all the world like strangely middle aged holiday reps. Or possibly golfers. Also the ball is white rather than deep lustrous cherry red. All a bit rum really.

Lords in an excellent sports ground though and apparently has been there since Roman times (I exaggerate of course). Though I'm not sure it was cricket they played then? The sun was shining (for a change) and I enjoyed the game. It was a one sided affair and Middlesex might have achieved just as much if they hadn't turned up but the atmosphere was enjoyable, the ground was full to capacity and I recommend going to one of these things if you get the chance. Oh, take your own drinks as the bar service was awful. I missed 10 of those 6 ball overs just waiting at the bar...

The Weekend

As I write it’s Saturday evening. I’m experiment with being quiet, thinking and deciding what direction to go in lots of ways. If I figure anything out I shall let you know. In the meantime I may open a bottle of wine, or I may not. I will however go for a decent cycle ride through the forest tomorrow and I shall potter in the garden.

I rarely figure much out during these brief excursions into the introspective but I shall persevere nonetheless. If anything happens tomorrow I may well post it here.












No comments: