Monday, July 05, 2004

The Light Bar



Friday night was supposed to be a quiet evening. Civilized even. Well it almost stayed that way. Regular readers will have noticed that excess fuelled evenings have become something of a rarity with me lately. Not last Friday though...

The night began quietly enough with a drink or two at Two Floors with Slinx and a couple of friends and then on to that old haunt The Rex for a viewing of Shrek 2 in their excellent cinema. We enjoyed the film. A few more drinks on the premises and the Rex was getting busy and we were getting lively. At this point going on to the Light Bar was mentioned.

I had not been here before. Though I shall visit again.

The bar is in the reception of The St Martins Lane Hotel. The reception area is all white and straight ahead of the main doors the bar sits enclosed in its own long, wide rectangular room. Once through the doors, past the man that only lets members, stars and hotel guests in you are seated by a very nice lady who finds you a table. The bar itself is a little like a very wide railway carriage but with better lighting, comfortable seating and a lack of windows. In fact it doesn't have any at all. The far end of this long room has a large display cabinet full of cut glass glasses. It reminded me of a Selfridges shelving display. No matter. The whole thing is apparently designed by Phillipe Stark. You don't crowd at the bar as their is only table service.

Wow. What a drinks menu! Its all about cocktails and boy, these cocktails are worth waiting for. Slinx went for a Raspberry Martini which looked about as raspberry as it could be. It tasted divine to. I went for a new twist on an old theme and tried a Mexican Mule.

Tequila
Creme de Cassis
Limes
Ginger Beer
... 3 blueberries on top.

I have just realised (as I write this) that I have all of these ingredients here at home. It is only that I am drinking a nice Torres red wine that is stopping me working out the measurements and attempting a recreation. I will though so expect this to be a cocktail of the month for July.

Where was I? Oh yes. It tasted fantastic. Or at least it did to me. Considering that by this point I had drunk white wine, gin and vodka liberally through the evening it seemed only right to switch spirits.

The crowd in this bar is rich and shows it off. Expect the Beckhams or the Minogues, visiting American film brats and London Bling. Hats teemed with perfect tans and perfect teeth. The music was great and people were up on their feet dancing. The people we were with said it was very quiet that night. It was busy enough for me as the space is wonderful to observe. It is, in my humble opinion the best bar in the very up market category I have been in. You might think that given it has no windows it may feel a little oppressive. But it works just so.

If you wish to go, phone the bar in advance. If you don't sound too ugly and ask nicely you may be placed on the guestlist. Note; I don't say "put" on the guest list. No people "put" you on the list for a taxi queue or a decent new car. Here I feel your name is carefully placed. Neatly.

We had three drinks each. I 'think' I finished up on Mojitos. I 'think' they were the best I have ever had.

Its all a mite blurry after that and it was too much for Slinx, who whilst sometimes showing the determination of the late Oliver Reed, thankfully has a rather smaller and more beautifully formed physique.

We woke up in our clothes.

Saturday was very quiet indeed.

If you only get to go to one expensive bar ever. Go here on a Friday night after midnight. If you can get in of course. 5 Stars.

Tour De France

Some of you may have noticed that the Tour De France has started again. And I would guess, more of you have not.

However, it has.

In the spirit of this, or more probably an early mid life crisis, last week I cycled to work. So what I hear you cry, isn't he in London, doesn't he work in London. How hard can that be? Well its not quite like that as I actually live just North East of London in Essex and work is right slap bang in the middle of the teemimg London Town. It is, in fact 23 miles each way.

It was hard work on the way back I can tell you as its mostly up hill. I travel in along The River Lea Towpath for over 10 miles of the journey. It is beautiful. I saw Swans and Herons and a Kinfisher and Sheep and an Eagle and even Flamingoes around the river. Oh and some passed out drunks neear Tottenham. I am doing it again tommorow. This time though I shall take my camera and prove it. Especially about the Flamingoes...

TG

No comments: