Friday, October 31, 2003

Dingus

An old friend (The Critic) emailed me today, and amongst other things called me a 'dingus'

I've never been called a dingus before and despite having a relatively strong command of the English language, I had not come across the word. So I looked it up...

Google couldn't define it

Rebecca has a dog called it here.

Its an album by Cravin' Dogs here.

Go and listen, they're very good. They sound like Elvis Costello mixed up with the Kinks.

Dirty Dingus Magee (1970) Is a flick starring Frank Sinatra in an apparently not funny enough (and therefore forgotten) Western spoof. You can buy it here.

Hmmm I mused, better try the Oracle (no not Cecil) Dictionary.com Of course.

Ahhh.. There we are..

Dingus:
n. Slang
An article whose name is unknown or forgotten.
A person regarded as stupid.

[Dutch dinges, whatchamacallit, from German Dings, from Middle High German dinges, genitive of dinc, thing, from Old High German ding, thing, assembly, case, thing.]

So that's all right then. Had me vexed for a minute. She does know me after all.

This is better though Thanks to JD for that.

My work here is done.

Oh, of course! You must be wondering? Yes it is Friday and, no you're correct I'm not out. I went out last night instead (and it was quite excessive) as I have to be up early tomorrow. You see there is a perfectly rational explanation for everything.

Instead I have a bottle of excellent Red Burgundy and an evening with Goldfrapp and The Flaming Lips.

thegardener1969@msn.com


No comments: